Monday, June 30, 2008

Music and its propriety

So I am in a constant struggle as to the propriety of music downloading. Here is the issue as I see it: music is best when it is heard. Bluntly, unless I listen to an album, I do not want to buy it. Everytime I've ever bought an album on name/band alone, I have been sorely disappointed – switchfoot, death cab for cutie, dashboard confessional, etc (you may be saying to yourself "what the hell was he doing listening to those bands in the first place?", I will be the first to second that sentiment). I want to hear an album all the way through, because, bluntly, I am a consumer, I want to know that my hard earned money isn't being wasted on some piece of crap record that has no merit whatsoever. I want to rest assured that my music isn't good for the first couple songs, and then crap for the only 10 (or 8 as the trend has been recently) songs on the album. I will use my current favourite album (maybe of all time) as a perfect example why this system works: The new Islands record, I downloaded it on a whim, and listened to it once and was like "huh, this is interesting... very different from the Unicorns (the lead singer's previous band), and I think that's a good thing", but upon listening to it a very hundred more times since I got it back in april, I have fallen very deeply in love with, because, frankly, its an an awesome record, that has some of the creepiest and most perfectly whimsical lyrics around – "remember who was in my arms, remember when I had arms..." etc. However, I never would have just bought this record on a whim, having not really enjoyed the Islands' first record all that much, I wouldn't have relied on the band name alone to push me into buying this record. However, having been given the time to listen to this incredible record I love this thing to death, and might always love this record – we'll see.
Another perfect example is Bon Iver. An incredible artist who crafts sound like its nobody's business (because, in this case, that's actually true). I first listened to Bon Iver upon recommendation from my friend. She told me I should listen to this one song called "Skinny Love" ––which I highly recommend you check out, because its unlike anything you've heard before. Upon listening to the song via their virb/myspace I was like, "I want more", so I listened to the rest of the album online, and then when they came to town I had to see them, because I had so fallen in love with their sound. My question is: how is seeing a band live any different than downloading their album online? The music is freely given, and with anticipation and hope that you will like it, and want to come back time and time again. Okay, yeah, you have to pay for a concert, and most of the money goes directly to the artist via shows, unlike with record sales. However, my logic is if I hear a bunch of really good music I am more willing to buy it. Now, with Bon Iver I actually didn't hear the entire record, apart from live, until two days ago when I went to the record store and bought a brand new copy of "For Emma, Forever Ago", because I wanted to support an artist I like so much.
Which actually brings me to my final point, something that I thought of the other day when I was buying CDs, and actually became very perplexed and confused by, and a little worried, because I'm not sure where this fits into my schema... so I'm a little shaken up by it. So, if you download a CD an artist makes no money off that record sale and the way that you show your appreciation for an artist is to buy the record for yourself, and actually use your money to say what you cannot say in person – most of the time. Okay, well when you buy a used record it is exactly the same. True, the artist already received that money for the initial record sold, but they don't make anything off of your current purchase, so how is buying a used record any better than just illegally downloading the record? ––besides supporting your local record store, of course. That is why I bought a new copy of Bon Iver and not a used one. I did, however, by a used copy of Rabbit Fur Coat, by Jenny Lewis and the Watson Twins, and that worried me a lot, because I love Jenny Lewis and I want to support her, but by buying that album used I have done nothing of the sort....I don't know.
So, in short, illegal downloading has led to my new favourite music, so I don't understand how it can be considered wrong... sure, I want to get paid as much as the next guy, but buying records doesn't always equate to financial stability to the artists themselves.
Peace.

No comments: